Facebook prohibits a bunch of categories from advertising on their platform at all, these include:
- Illegal products/services
- Drugs or drug-related products
- Unsafe supplements
- Weapons, ammunition, or explosives
- Adult products or services
- Payday loans, paycheck advances, or bail bonds
- Multi level marketing
- Penny auctions
- Counterfeit documents
- Spyware and malware
- Unauthorized streaming devices
- Certain financial products and services that are usually associated with misleading or deceptive promotional practices
- Sale of body parts
Facebook also restricts (has certain requirements that must be met in order to advertise) the following categories:
- Over the counter drugs
- Subscription services
- Financial and insurance products/services
- Political topics
- Addiction Treatment
- Weight loss products and plans
There is quite a bit that Facebook either restricts or flat out prohibits on their platform. They most likely won’t give you a second chance if you violate a major policy, and you could end up with your account banned from advertising on the platform again.
It’s suggested that you carefully read their advertising policies and don’t try to bend the rules in any way, as they will eventually find out and ban your account.
Social media platforms other than Facebook may have different rules and restrictions. You should always read their advertising policies before advertising anything.